2/09/2006

Korean Superstitions

A while back I was talking with my 5th graders about superstitions. They tried explaining to me a few of the ones Koreans have. Really, compared to the variety of superstitions in the US it's not that many. Because of the language barrier I don't know all the details to these, but here's what I understood... -If your name is written in red, it means you're going to die. This explains why my kids got all upset when their name was written on the board the day I happened to be using a red marker... now I understand... -The word for the number four sounds like the word for death. Thus, many buildings don't have a floor labeled as "4," but rather have the letter F. (side note- we live on the the 4th floor, and my gym is on the 4th floor... :) ) -When your tooth falls out as a child, you're supposed to throw it out of your window, and a bird will bring you a new one. I've asked kids about this when they lose a tooth, and most of them do it. -If you whistle at night, you'll attract snakes. -If you leave your chair pulled out from your desk when you go to sleep at night (a desk in your house, that is), a ghost will come and sit there. The same is true if you have an extra pillow on your bed lying next to you. A ghost will come and lay next to you. There are probably more, but those are the ones they told me about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home