2/14/2006

Valentine's Day

Korea has really embraced Valentine's Day. Similar to the States, it's a very commercial holiday. Tons of chocolate being sold at different places, along with hideous gaudy gift baskets. What makes it really different, though, is who's doing the giving and receiving. Mostly, girls are supposed to give their boyfriends chocolate! Girls don't get flowers or anything! Kids and girls will give each other chocolate as well, though. But, girlfriends aren't left out forever. Next month, March 14th, is "White Day"- another commercial holiday where guys are supposed to give girls candy. And from my understanding, it's supposed to be something other than chocolate... however that works. In my opinion there should definitely be flowers involved as well ;) And then, for all the singles out there, April 14th is black day. Singles go out for "Ja-Jang-Myeon" (chinese noodles with black sauce) on that day. All a little strange.... but whatever :) Today involved eating A LOT of sweets, since I have a lot of students who love me (and fed me chocolate), and I brought treats for the adult class. I also had fun making Valentine cards with the kids (although, I had more than the number of people to give them to, so now I have a bunch of random Valentines...). And tomorrow, back to same ol', same ol'. This week I feel really tired of teaching. It'd better pass soon! I have several months left! (more than 4) Well, in three weeks we start a new term, so that'll add some refreshment to the daily grind :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home